February 06, 2006

Crappy Weather and Crappy Roads

Well, so much for leaving today. The Seward Highway is closed between here and Anchorage. 80 mph winds are forecast in Turnagain Arm along the highway. The roads are covered with ice which is covered by water that is freezing to the ice already on the road. Avalanche danger along the passes is extreme. Anchorage schools and federal offices are closed because of freezing rain. I ain't goin' nowhere.

According to United Airlines, however, there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to reach the airport in time for my flight. They are refusing to allow me to change my ticket without charging an additional $550 in fees. Fortunately, it's not me that will have to pay for it. Well, actually, I will ultimately be paying for it, but so will everyone else in the U.S., since it's being payed for with tax money.

*sigh*

We also heard that Seward was under a tsunami warning this morning until 9:45am. Considering that our office is only about 100 yards from the ocean it had everyone pretty freaked out. That is until the police department called and notified us that the tsunami warning system in Seattle "burped" and sent out a false report. At least they caught it before the tsunami sirens started blaring.

No comments: