June 22, 2006

Yes, it IS a Grand Canyon

There it is. The Grand Canyon as it was at 7:30am this morning. Funny how I've been here since Monday and this was only the second time I've actually been able to look at the canyon. Fortunately, I've got the entire weekend to explore as many little nooks and crannies that I can find. You know, I've seen a lot of canyons before...big ones, little ones, deep ones, red ones, yellow ones...but the first time I looked at this place it literally took my breath away. It sounds cliche', I know, but I could never think of a more appropriate name for this place.

There are also some cool non-condor-type birds around, as well. In fact, right outside the door to my room last night I got to watch a Western Bluebird feeding its demanding fledglings. There seems to be a plethora of hungry little birds constantly pestering their parents for food. So far, in addition to the bluebirds I've also seen Pygmy Nuthatches and Common Grackles with young. I'll be curious to see how the bird life changes as I hike down into the canyon.

Tonight I'll be heading to the rim for sunset, which means more pictures of rocks and dirt on here tomorrow. Exciting, eh?

No comments: