June 21, 2007

Escaping the Heat

Sonja and I thought it would be prudent to head up and out of the intense heat that has been blasting the Verde Valley for the last week. So we decided to take the dogs to 8,500' on the slopes of Mt. Humphrey, outside of Flagstaff. The temperature was unbelievably pleasant once we reached an elevation over a mile higher than where we're at in Rimrock. Easily 20 degrees cooler. However, because the sun is still pretty intense, the sandy trail got a big hot for Harvey's feet, cutting our hike shorter than we had anticipated. It was still a nice afternoon, though.

And it doesn't look like it's going to be cooling down anytime soon...

At least we got our swamp cooler fixed, so the house stays pretty mild, even when it is unbearably hot outside. As a result, I have a feeling we'll be spending most of the summer hanging out inside. Which isn't so bad, really, particularly since the evenings are so nice.

Not much else going on. But next week I'll be hosting the 52nd edition of "I and the Bird", an online blogging carnival. So if anyone has any posts involving our many feathered friends, let me know if you'd like me to include it in my IatB post and send it my way no later than Tuesday (June 26).

No comments: