October 01, 2007

Halloween Bugs

In honor of the beginning of Halloween Month (in my opinion, this holiday deserves much more than a single day), I thought I'd post some pictures of local bugs/spiders all decked out for the holiday in their brightest black and orange. We encountered both of these on our hike this morning.

This is a jumping spider of some sort doing its best velvet ant impression. I missed capturing its legs-up defensive posturing by about a nanosecond.

And here we have some sort of "true bug". I'm assuming it is some sort of assassin bug or something, but I haven't actually taken the time to try to identify it, yet.

So, as the month progresses, you can expect more Halloweenie type posts. I'll even try to find some more orange-and-black wildlife. Too bad all of our orioles have migrated away already...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good birthday, Paul.
The pictures are great, and I'm glad you put one of Sonja in your blog. I love the bugs, but...
Love,
Mom "A"