October 18, 2008

100,000!

Today Sonja and I spent a couple hours volunteering for the Obama campaign in Kalispell. I didn't even have to twist Sonja's arm to get her to help me knock on 50 doors to distribute information packets and encourage people to vote early (have you voted, yet??? Why not?!?). It felt really good to contribute to this historic campaign, and made me even more excited about the seemingly very likely possibility of an Obama Presidency. Sonja even got to speak to a Vietnam Vet who will be voting for a Democrat for the first time in his entire life. He said that Obama's lack of military experience is completely irrelevant and that Obama "has the right ideas."

Rock on! Talk about breaking down barriers!

Obama held a campaign rally underneath the Arch in St. Louis today. I hear a couple people decided to show up and see him:

And here I thought Missouri was supposed to be a "red" state. I think it says something quite profound when over 100,000 people show up ANYWHERE, let alone a Republican stronghold, to see a Presidential candidate. Amazing. Absolutely amazing. This makes me so incredibly hopeful for the future of this country...a feeling I have never had.

Has McCain ever drawing a crowd even 1/10th of this size??? How inspiring is it to see so many people take the time and energy to go listen to a Presidential candidate? It's like New Years Eve at Times Square! Or the Superbowl! I never thought I would see so much excitement, so much energy, so much enthusiasm and passion for politics in America. Has Obama turned American voter apathy on its head?

It sure as hell looks that way to me!

And if you weren't amazed enough, check out this story from an Obama volunteer in Pennsylvania, reported on my new favorite website:

So a canvasser goes to a woman's door in Washington, Pennsylvania. Knocks. Woman answers. Knocker asks who she's planning to vote for. She isn't sure, has to ask her husband who she's voting for. Husband is off in another room watching some game. Canvasser hears him yell back, "We're votin' for the n***er!"

Woman turns back to canvasser, and says brightly and matter of factly: "We're voting for the n***er."

In this economy, racism is officially a luxury. How is John McCain going to win if he can't win those voters?
Shocking and sad, but hilarious!

4 comments:

kippur said...

He was in KC tonight. Not 100,000 but LOTS of people. We couldnt get even close but had friends that were there. We were actually about a half mile away celebrating our anniversary.

P. Ollig said...

Oh yeah, happy anniversary!

troutbirder said...

If Montana votes Obama my happiness will be complete. Go for it. Really liked the pics of your beautiful state in the fall. I hope to visit there more often now that I am retired from teaching

Heather said...

I am totally addicted to FiveThirtyEight, too. Its amazing!!